Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing #22~ downloadable audiobooks

I have to admit to being a kind of Luddite when it comes to audiobooks. I like the plain simple books on CD. I don't have a CD player in my room anymore but my DVD players play them so it works. I can't figure out how to put audiobooks on my iPod without the tracks being mixed in with the songs on shuffle and my new MP3 player I got for doing this blog project is pretty much full already but I poked around NetLibrary and Overdrive anyway, became thoroughly confused, and then checked out Project Gutenberg's audios and that seemed like something I'd be interested in checking out again down the line.

I do have a question for the community at large or whoever's reading this-- if an author has the ability to record audiobooks on CD, what does it take for them to be able to break into digital audiobooks and make an audiobook they can sell through iTunes, audible.com, etc and is doing such a thing more cost-effective than doing a book on CD? An author friend of mine, Grace Chetwin, whose name you may recognize, now publishes her own books and I thought for small presses digital audiobooks may work better than CDs, but maybe not.

No comments: